Monday, June 30, 2008

Hope House Gives Me Hope (for nonprofit ads)

I am so in love with this ad campaign by Hope House- a Norfolk, Virginia nonprofit supporting people with developmental disabilities.

Hope House has billboards all over Norfolk each depicting a different person that they support with a picture frame around their face and the tag line, "I Am a Masterpiece". The campaign is so innovative, and so very different than anything I have seen in this area of nonprofits. Instead of invoking pity, it accomplishes their mission statement, "We are people with developmental disabilities, who want nothing more than to control our own destinies and live in our own communities."

Below is the ad featuring my coffee shop's (Fairgrounds) local celebrity Hollywood.


A few weeks ago while I was coming home from work, I saw a bunch of people standing on the side of the road holding up picture frames and waving to passing cars. I quickly recognized that they must be from Hope House, and as I got closer, I saw that I was right. They were out promoting an upcoming arts festival, whose proceeds go to Hope House. It made me so happy. Very positive and clever campaign.