Monday, July 07, 2008

Thurgood Marshall Would Be Proud

Right after college, I spent a year teaching at Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School (quite the mouthful) in SE D.C. through the AmeriCorps VISTA program. Since then, I continue to keep tabs on how the school is doing by checking out their website, which I am happy to report is leagues ahead of what it was during my time there.

I absolutely love the new blog feature of the site (although it’s not updated as frequently as I would like)- I think it's essential for students, parents, teachers, and donors alike to get these sorts of informal updates about what the school is up to. I also enjoyed the fact that they had an online donation page. However, I do think that they should promote this feature on the front page, and not keep it hidden in the back pages.
My favorite part of the site is their news and events updates- simply for that fact that they never fail to make me smile.

My old high school’s site seems so sad in comparison!

P.S. Donate to them if you can. They do amazing work- see the WSJ article here.

No comments: